Report a death
To report an unexpected, violent or suspicious death or get advice from a coroner, contact the National Initial Investigation Office (NIIO):
- 0800 266 800
NIIO is available 24/7.
A death must be reported if:
- it was unexpected, violent or suicide
- a doctor will not issue a medical certificate about the cause of death
- it happened during – or as a result of – a medical, surgical or dental procedure
- a woman died in childbirth
- the person was in state care (such as in prison or an institution)
- it is required by law.
This page was last updated: